Sweet Potato Tarts
- 8 oz phyllo dough, thawed 2 c sweet potato, steamed
- or roasted, flesh only 1/2 c dark brown sugar 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t pumpkin pie spice mix, plus additional
- 1/2 t for dusting
- 1/4 c low-fat evaporated milk 1 t vanilla
- 1/2 c egg substitute or 2 egg whites
- 1/2 c fat free whipped topping
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
NOTE: To boost the fiber, you can look for whole-wheat phyllo dough, which is available in the healthy food freezer section of many grocery stores.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 24 mini muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray. Remove phyllo dough from packaging. Slice into 1 inch strips, then cut each strip into 2 inch segments. Using 3 layers at a time, fill the cups, spraying cooking spray between each layer. Repeat process three times. Remove skin from sweet potatoes and allow to cool to room temperature. Place sweet potatoes, sugar, spice mix, milk, and vanilla in the bowl of a food processor. Blend until smooth.
Add eggs and blend just to incorporate. Fill cups to the top of the muffin pan. Bake 18-20 minutes, until custard is set and pastry starts to brown. Once cooled, top with 1 teaspoon of fat free whipped topping (optional--calories not included) and a dusting of pumpkin pie spice mix.