- 4 medium onions
- 3 tlbs. mild-flavored, such as almond or safflower
- 1/2 cup port
- 8 cups chicken stock- 64 oz.
- salt & freshley ground pepper
- 1 bouquet garni (fresh thyme, bay leaf, & celery stalk tied togeather)
- 12 (1/4-inch thick) slices French bread, toasted
- 3 cups grated Gruyere
Thinly slice the onions. Heat a 6 quart stockpot. Add the oil and heat. Add the onions and saute until golden brown over med-low heat, about 25 to 30 minutes. Deglaze the pan with port. Add stock, salt, pepper, and bouquet garni, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
Preheat the broiler.
Pour the soup into oven proof bowls. Top each bowl with 2 slices bread and sprinkle with the cheese. Brown under the broiler until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.