- 1 lb lean beef
- 1 lb lean pork
- 3 TBS canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans kidney beans
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup water
- 1 TBS stone-ground cornmeal
- 2 TBS chili powder
- 2 TBS unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Salt to taste
1. Cut beef and pork into bite-size pieces. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a
stockpot over medium-high heat. Add beef and pork. Cook about 5 minutes
until brown. Remove the meat to a separate bowl.
2. Add remaining oil to pot and also the onion & garlic. Saute for a
couple of minutes. Add the meat (and any juice from it) back into the pot.
Stir in the beans, tomato sauce, red pepper, bay leaf, and water. Cover &
simmer for an hour.
3. Uncover. In a little bowl mix together the cornmeal, chili powder,
cocoa, and cinnamon. Add that mixture to the meat mixture in the pot. Simmer
gently for 45 minutes. Add salt to taste.