- 5 c sifted unbleached flour
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp of baking powder
- 2 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 oz shredded extra-sharp whitre cheddar cheese (room temp)
- 4 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese (room temp)
- 6 tbsp cold unsalted butter (cut in 1/2" pieces)
- 2 c heavy cream
- 1/4 c buttermilk
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 36mins
Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with foil and grease. In large mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and cayenne. Add grated cheeses and work in with fingers. Add the cold butter and rub in with fingers.
Stir in heavy cream; add buttermilk and stir until just absorbed. Dough with be in chunks and pieces at this point. Turn out onto a lightly floured board. Knead firmly until forms a dough.
Roll to 1/2" thick; with fork dipped in flour pierce dough all the way through at 1/2" intervals. Stamp out 2 1/2" rounds and place 1/2" apart on baking sheet. Re-roll and recut until all dough is used.
Bake on center rack of oven for 16 to 18 min until well browned. Allowed to cool slightly before serving.