Oriental Broccoli (or Cabbage) Coleslaw
The sweet and tangy dressing jazzes up the broccoli, and the cranberries, almonds, sunflower seeds, and crisp noodles add incredible flavor and texture. And did I mention that it's ridiculously easy to throw together and can be made ahead.
- Sweet and Tangy Oriental Dressing:
- 1 (12-16 oz) package Broccoli Coleslaw mix (broccoli, carrots, purple cabbage), or cabbage Tri-Color Coleslaw mix
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1 medium apple of choice, diced (optional)
- 3 tablespoons roasted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup slivered or sliced almonds
- Chow mein noodles or broken Ramen noodles for topping (optional)
- Sweet and Tangy Oriental Dressing (recipe follows), or use your favorite bottled coleslaw dressing
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Good pinch of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt (or 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon yellow mustard, or to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar, (can use white)
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, sugar, garlic powder, onion salt, black pepper, mustard, and vinegar. Refrigerate while you make the slaw.
Totally optional step: For a somewhat finer textured slaw, pulse the coleslaw mix a couple of brief times (may need to do in 2-3 batches) in a food processor until desired texture is reached.
In a large serving bowl, toss the broccoli slaw, apple (if using) cranberries, almonds and sunflower seeds together. Pour desired amount of dressing over the salad, tossing to coat. Serve immediately, or leave the dressing off and refrigerate it and the slaw mixture in separate containers until serving time then stir together, or pass at the table or serve in small individual cups on the side.
At serving time, top with broken noodles if desired.