Irish Soda Bread
A little orange zest adds some zing to the classic Irish Soda Bread ingredients. Enjoy almost instant gratification with this quick-to-the-table loaf.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp grated orange zest
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 70mins
Adapted from rotinrice.com
Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a large bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, caraway seeds, sugar, and orange zest until well combined. Cut in butter with pastry blender or using 2 knives until dry ingredients resemble coarse breadcrumbs.
Stir in raisins.
Add buttermilk and stir to mix. Gently knead several times until dough forms.
Place dough on a parchment lined baking sheet and pat to form a 6 inch circle. Dust loaf with flour. Cut a cross on the top of the loaf about ½ inch deep.
Bake for approximately 35 minutes. When you tap the loaf, it should have a hollow sound.
Remove and cool on a rack.
You'll also love
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (884 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (740 Votes)
- Jalapeno Popper Spread 4.5/5 (682 Votes)
- Snickerdoodle Bread 4.5/5 (451 Votes)
- Breakfast Pockets 4.5/5 (241 Votes)
- Strawberry Coconut Chia Seed... 4.5/5 (210 Votes)
- Quick Chicken Tortilla Bake 4.4/5 (186 Votes)
- Banana Crunch Bread 4.5/5 (141 Votes)