Refrigerated pie dough makes this classic pumpkin pie recipe simple to prepare. Bake the pie on a baking sheet in the lower third of the oven to encourage a crisp crust.
|¾||cup packed brown sugar|
|1¾||teaspoons pumpkin pie spice|
|1||(12-ounce) can evaporated low-fat milk|
|2||large egg whites|
|1||(15-ounce) can unsweetened pumpkin|
|½||(15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury)|
|¼||cup whipping cream|
|1||tablespoon amaretto (almond-flavored liqueur)|
|2||teaspoons powdered sugar|
• Position oven rack to lowest position.
• Preheat oven to 425°.
• To prepare filling, combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add pumpkin, and stir with a whisk until smooth.
• To prepare crust, roll dough into an 11-inch circle; fit into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Fold edges under and flute.
• Pour pumpkin mixture into the crust. Place pie plate on a baking sheet. Place baking sheet on lowest oven rack. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350° (do not remove pie from oven); bake an additional 50 minutes or until almost set. Cool completely on wire rack.
• To prepare topping, beat cream with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Add the amaretto and powdered sugar, and beat until blended. Serve with pie.