Baked Calamari Rings PRINT
- YIELD: 4 servings
Light and delicious.
|1||pound calamari, cleaned and cut into rings|
|1||cup of flour, more if needed|
|1 - 2||eggs|
|1 - 2||cups panko|
|½||tsp granulated garlic per cup of panko (optional)|
|non-stick cooking spray|
|sea salt and fresh ground pepper to season|
|1||cup of mayonnaise|
|2||tbsp of lemon juice|
|1||tbsp of sweet pickle or dill relish|
|1||tbsp of minced onion|
|salt and pepper to season|
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place parchment paper on a baking sheet and mist with cooking spray.
2. Place flour in one bowl, lightly beaten egg in a second, and the panko (and granulated garlic, if using!) in a third.
3. Place calamari, a few at a time, into the flour mixture, then transfer to second bowl to coat with egg, and finally into the third bowl to coat all surface of the calamari with panko.
5. Place coated pieces on baking sheet, not touching. Repeat until all calamari is coated.
6. Bake 10 minutes; turn pieces with tongs; return to oven for an additional 5 – 10 minutes until panko has turned a golden brown. Serve immediately.
1. Combine the mayonnaise, relish and minced onion in a small mixing bowl, stirring thoroughly to mix the flavours well.
2. Add the lemon juice.
3. Season with the salt and pepper and stir well.
4. Cover the bowl with cling film and place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour before serving.