|1¼||cups dried navy beans, picked over, rinsed and soaked|
|7||cups cold water|
|1||small ham hock|
|1||large onion, diced|
|3||medium celery stalks, chopped|
|1 - 2||large potatoes, peeled and finely diced|
|½||cup carrots, finely chopped|
|2||cloves garlic, minced|
|½||tsp ground black pepper|
|2||TBS fresh parsley, chopped|
1) Soak picked over, rinsed bean according to you favorite method or package directions. When ready, drain and place in a soup pot.
2) Add water and ham to soup pot with beans and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the beans are tender, about 1¼ hrs.
3) Remove the ham hock. Discard the bone, skin and fat; dice the meat and return it to the pot.
4) Add onion, celery, potatoes, carrots, garlic, salt and pepper to soup pot and simmer until the potatoes and carrots are quite soft, 20 – 30 mins.
5) Remove from the heat and mash with a potato masher until the soup is a bit creamy. Stir in the parsley and serve.