Best Buttermilk Griddle Cakes PRINT
- PREP TIME: 20 min
- COOK TIME: 0 min
I’m always looking for new or improved pancake recipes. These pancakes really did turn out fluffy!
The key to these light and fluffy pancakes is the combination of buttermilk for tenderness and softly whipped egg whites for airiness. Serve with real maple syrup or fresh sugared fruit. For a variation, try Spiced Buttermilk Griddle Cakes (recipe follows), or sprinkle with fresh blueberries, raspberries or toasted nuts after you pour the batter onto the griddle.
Recipe Source: The Cooking Club of America, April 2011 Issue.
|6||tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, cooled|
|2½||cups all-purpose flour|
|1½||teaspoons baking powder|
|1||teaspoon baking soda|
|Additional melted butter or oil for cooking griddle cakes|
1. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in buttermilk and 6 tablespoons butter until blended.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl until blended. Make well in center of flour mixture; pour in buttermilk mixture. Whisk until batter is almost smooth (some lumps will remain).
3. Beat egg whites in small bowl at medium speed 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until soft peaks form. Stir one-fourth of the egg whites into batter to lighten; gently fold in remaining egg whites.
4. Heat griddle or nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot; lightly brush with melted butter. When butter stops sizzling, pour 1/4 cup batter per cake onto griddle, gently spreading to 4-inch diameter. Cook 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until bubbles form and pop on surface and bottom is golden brown. Turn and cook 1 minute or until golden brown on both sides, adjusting heat if necessary. Repeat with remaining batter.
5. Keep griddle cakes warm on baking sheet in 200°F. oven until all cakes have been made.
20 (4-inch) griddle cakes
PER GRIDDLE CAKE: 125 calories, 5 g total fat (3 g saturated fat), 3.5 g protein, 16 g carbohydrate, 45 mg cholesterol, 195 mg sodium, .5 g fiber
Spiced Buttermilk Griddle Cakes
Whisk 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground cardamom and 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg into flour mixture in Step 2. Follow remainder of recipe as written. (You may substitute 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg for the cardamom, if desired.)