Boston Baked Beans PRINT
- YIELD: 6 servings
|2||cups navy beans|
|1||onion, finely sliced|
|¼||tsp ground black pepper|
|¼||tsp dry mustard|
|1||tbsp Worcestershire sauce|
|¼||cup brown sugar|
1. Soak beans overnight in cold water. Simmer beans in the same water until tender, approx 1 to 2 hrs. Drain and reserve the liquid.
2. Preheat oven to 325 deg F (165 deg C).
3. Arrange the beans in a 2 qt bean pot or casserole dish by placing a portion of the beans in the bottom of the dish and layering them with bacon and onion.
4. In a saucepan, combine molasses, salt, pepper, dry mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil and pour over the beans. Pour in just enough of the reserved bean water to cover the beans. Cover the dish with a lid or aluminum foil.
5. Bake for 3 to 4 hrs in the preheated oven, until beans are tender. Remove lid about halfway through cooking, add more liquid if necessary to prevent the beans from getting to dry.