nutrition facts (Sprinkle-Me-Happy Cake)
Servings Per Recipe 32, Calories 444, Protein (gm) 3, Carbohydrate (gm) 62, Fat, total (gm) 22, Cholesterol (mg) 57, Saturated fat (gm) 9, Monosaturated fat (gm) 5, Polyunsaturated fat (gm) 6, Trans fatty acid (gm) 1, Dietary Fiber, total (gm) 1, Sugar, total (gm) 40, Vitamin A (IU) 1846, Vitamin C (mg) 2, Thiamin (mg) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 1, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Folate (µg) 36, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Sodium (mg) 180, Potassium (mg) 116, Calcium (DV %) 50, Iron (DV %) 1, Starch () 1, Other Carb () 8, Fat () 5, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
|4||eggs, lightly beaten|
|4||cups all-purpose flour|
|4||teaspoons baking powder|
|¼||teaspoon ground cloves|
|2½||cups mashed ripe banana (about 5)|
|1¼||cups vegetable oil|
|2½||cups peeled, shredded uncooked sweet potatoes (about 9 ounces)|
|1||- 8 ounce can crushed pineapple (juice pack), drained|
|2||recipes Almost-Homemade Vanilla Buttercream|
|1¾ - 2||cups white jimmies and or white nonpareils|
|1||recipe Candy Clay|
|1||tablespoon light-color corn syrup|
|Assorted dragees or small round candies|
|1½||cups unsalted butter (3 sticks), softened, cut in 1-inch pieces|
|1||16 ounce jar marshmallow creme*|
|½||cup powdered sugar|
1. Allow eggs to stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease three 8×1-½-inch square baking pans. Line bottoms of pans with parchment; grease paper. Flour pans, shaking out excess; set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In very large bowl stir together 4 cups flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cloves. Stir in bananas, oil, eggs, and vanilla just until combined. Fold in shredded sweet potatoes and drained pineapple. Evenly spread batter among prepared pans.
3. Refrigerate one layer. Bake two layers on one rack for 50 to 55 minutes, until layers are set in centers when gently shaken and tops are golden. Cool layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove layers from pans. Discard paper. Cool completely on racks; about 1 hour. Bake and cool third layer.
4. Place one layer on serving plate. Frost top with about 1 cup of Almost-Homemade Vanilla Buttercream. Stack second layer; spread top with 1 cup buttercream. Stack final layer. Frost top and sides. (Expect to have leftover Buttercream frosting.)
5.Tinting Sprinkles and Sugar Line a rimmed baking sheet with waxed paper. Place about ½ cup sprinkles, jimmies, and/or nonpareils in a sealable container. Add a drop of gel or liquid food coloring, seal, then shake to coat evenly with color. Use a toothpick to break up sprinkles that stick together. Spread on waxed paper to dry, about 15 minutes.
6.Color Stripes Cut 1-¼-inch-wide strips of waxed paper; set aside. To cover sides of cake in alternating stripes, press waxed paper strips, 1-¼ inch apart, against sides of frosted cake. Use a spoon to scoop tinted sprinkles. Working from top to bottom, place spoon next to cake and use finger to push sprinkles onto frosting. Use a piece of waxed paper to gently press sprinkles into frosting. Chill for 10 minutes to firm frosting. Gently peel each strip of waxed paper from cake sides. Using the same technique, press white sprinkles into cake. Mix all sprinkle colors (reserving some for candy toppers) for top of cake.
7.Candy Toppers Prepare Candy Clay. Shape some clay in balls, then coat with corn syrup and immediately roll in reserved sprinkles. Arrange balls on top of cake along with dragees and candies.
from the test kitchen
Tip For best results, bake two layers at a time, refrigerating two-thirds of the batter until ready to use. After removing baked layers from pans, wipe out one pan then prepare for baking (Step 1). Bake the third layer as directed in Step 3.
Tip For easy slicing and serving, chill the frosted cake for 1 hour before serving.
Tip Freeze leftover frosting up to 3 months.
Tip For easy cleanup, place the cake plate on a large tray with a lip or on large kitchen towels.
1. In large mixing bowl beat softened butter with mixer on medium until light and fluffy. Add marshmallow creme; beat until smooth, scraping sides of bowl. Add powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until light and fluffy. If frosting is too stiff to spread, soften in microwave oven no more than 10 seconds, then beat again until smooth.
2. Frost cake immediately. Or, to store, cover and refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze up to 1 month. Bring to room temperature before frosting cake. Makes 3 cups.
from the test kitchen
Tip If only 13-oz. jars of marshmallow creme are available, purchase additional, then add 3 oz. (¾ cup).