Kittencal's Buttery Cut-Out Sugar Cookies W/ Icing That Hardens PRINT
- YIELD: 3 dozen
|1||cup butter, softened (no substitutes)|
|½||teaspoon almond extract|
|3¼||cups all-purpose flour|
|½||teaspoon baking soda|
|½||teaspoon baking powder|
|2||cups sifted confectioners' sugar (the sugar must be sifted)|
|1||tablespoon milk (add more if needed for proper spreading consistency)|
|1||tablespoon light corn syrup|
|¼||teaspoon almond extract (can use additional vanilla, if desired)|
|food coloring (use your choice of colors)|
1. In a large bowl combine butter with sugar, eggs, vanilla and almond extract; beat using an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy.
2. In another bowl combine the flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually stir into the butter mixture until well blended.
3. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 400°F.
5. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper (do not grease cookie sheets use parchment paper only).
6. On a very lightly floured surface roll out the dough into about 1/4-inch thickness.
7. Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters.
8. Place cookies 2-inches apart on cookie sheet.
9. Bake 4-6 minutes.
10. Remove cookies to wire racks to cool completely before icing.
1. In a small bowl mix the confectioners sugar with milk (start with 1-2 tablespoons, you will likely need more milk for the perfect spreading consistency).
2. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until the icing is smooth and glossy (if the icing is too thick add in a small amount more of corn syrup).
3. Divide into as many separate bowls as you wish for different colors.
4. Add in food coloring until desired intensity is achieved.
5. Paint the icing over the cookies using a brush, or dip edges of cookies into icing.
6. Allow to set on waxed paper.