Zeppole (St. Joseph's Day fritter) PRINT
|1||c (2 sticks) butter|
|1||c all purpose flour|
|1||Tbsp lemon rind, grated|
|1||tsp orange peel, grated|
|RICOTTA CREAM FILLING:|
|1||lb ricotta cheese|
|2||Tbsp grated chocolate|
|1||Tbsp grated orange rind|
|2||tsp almond extract|
|sugar, to taste|
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large saucepan, combine the water and butter, and bring to a boil. Add the salt and flour, stirring constantly until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan to form a ball in the center. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating them in completely. Add the sugar, lemon rind, and orange rind. Mix well.
4. Drop by the tablespoon onto a baking sheet, placing the puffs three inches apart, or use muffin cups. Bake for ten minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for thirty minutes or until light brown.
5. Remove the puffs from the oven. Open the puffs immediately to allow steam to escape. Cool.
6. In a bowl combine all ingredients, adding only enough of the milk to make a smooth custardlike mixture. Refrigerate until needed.
7. Fill the puffs with Ricotta cream, custard cream, or whipped cream. Top with a cherry.