All Time Best Summer Fruit Torte PRINT
- YIELD: 6-8 servings
Extremely versatile fruit torte that can be adapted to any season.
|1||stick butter, room temperature|
|1||tsp. pure vanilla extract|
|1||scant cup all-purpose flour|
|1||Tbl. baking powder|
|2||peaches or nectarines, peeled, pitted, and sliced*|
|Sugar for sprinkling|
|Cinnamon for sprinkling|
|Variations: Marian Burros' original recipe calls for 12 purple plums, halved, pitted, and arranged skin side up. Raspberries also work well. In fall or winter, substitute sliced apples and fresh cranb|
Preheat oven to 350F
Makes one 8- or 9-inch single-layer cake, serves 6-8
1. Butter a 8 or 9 inch round cake pan.
2. Mix butter at medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in sugar and vanilla; beat in the eggs, one at a time.
3. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the butter mixture and stir until just combined, no longer.
4. Scrape the batter into the pan; smooth the top. Scatter the fruit over the batter. Sprinkle w/sugar and cinnamon.
5. Bake until the cake is golden brown and baked through, about 45 minutes.
6. Cool in the pan on a wire rack. Serve at room temp.
I like to serve with whipped cream, ice cream or just powdered suagr!