Croissant Breakfast Strata PRINT
- YIELD: 10-12 servings
- PREP TIME: 25 min
- COOK TIME: 50 min
Prepare this the night before!
|6 or 7||croissant|
|1||cup chopped onion|
|1||cup chopped red and or green pepper or|
|1||cup sliced fresh cremini or button mushrooms|
|1½||tsp dried basil, oregano or thyme crushed|
|2||cups lightly packed coarsely chopped fresh spinach|
|8||oz colby and monterey jack cheese shredded|
|3||Tbsp dijon mustard|
|12||tsp black pepper|
1. Preheat the broiler. Slice the croissants in half horizontally. Arrange croissant halves, cut sides up, in a single layer on an extra large baking sheet. Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until light brown and set aside
2. In a very large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels , reserving 1 T. drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon, set aside.
3. Cook onion, sweet pepper, mushrooms and basil in hot bacon drippings 5 minutes or until onion is almost tender, stirring occasionally. Add spinach, stir until wilted and well coated. Transfer onion mixture to colander set in sink, drain. Stir in bacon
4. In a greased 13X9 dish arrange croissant bottoms, cut sides up, in a single layer over lappping slightly. Sprinkle Cheese over croissants. Spoon onion mixture over cheese, add croissant tops, cut side down.
5. In a large bowl whisk eggs, beat in milk, mustard and black pepper. Carefully pour over strata gently press down on croissants. Cover, chill in refrigerator 8-24 hours.
6. Uncover strata. Let stand at room temp 30 minutes. Bake uncovered, 325 degrees for 0-55 minutes or until knife comes out clean and the strata puffs, covering with foil the last 15 minutes to avoid over browning. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.