It’s almost here.
Super Bowl Sunday is right around the corner… and if you have yet to plan your game day menu, I have just the recipe!
Now, I’m not much of a football fan; but I always get excited about what to make on the big day. My husband and I often get together with friends for the annual event, and I take advantage of the opportunity to make classic game-watching food.
Basically a rolled-up and sliced pizza, stromboli is fantastic football-watching fare.
Choose any toppings you’d like – and even make more than one kind of stromboli if you’re feeding a crowd – to top your favorite pizza dough…
… roll it up…
… bake until golden brown and crisp…
… and serve with warmed pizza sauce.
I promise you, there won’t be a crumb to be found after your friends set their eyes on this sight!
The pizza dough crisps up on the outside but stays nice and chewy on the inside, which is jam-packed with salty pepperoni and gooey melted mozzarella cheese.
see recipe on Key Ingredient
yield: 4 servings
- 1 lb ball whole wheat pizza dough, at room temperature
- flour, for rolling out dough
- about 40 thin slices pepperoni (turkey pepperoni for a lighter stromboli, if desired)
- 1 1/2 cups freshly shredded low-moisture, part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, preferably organic, beaten
- 2 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- pizza sauce, for serving
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with olive oil.
- Lightly dust a clean surface with flour. Roll pizza dough out into a rectangle, about 16 x 9 inches. Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet.
- Leaving a 1-inch border, layer half of the mozzarella – followed by all of the pepperoni – in an even layer over the rolled out dough. Top with remaining mozzarella
- Brush the beaten egg around the edges.
- Starting with a long edge, roll dough up jelly roll-style. Pinch seam to seal stromboli.
- Brush beaten egg over the top. Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan, oregano, and salt. Slice shallow diagonal cuts about 2 inches apart on the top of the stromboli.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the dough is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- While stromboli bakes, heat pizza sauce either in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- Let stromboli sit at room temperature for 5 minutes on a cutting board before slicing and serving.
Recipe by Lauren Zembron